Murger Tomb

Murger Tomb
Henri Murger, Cimetiére de Montmartre, Eylül 2015

Thursday, October 22, 2015

contemporary saxophone magic: Korhan Futacı and Guillaume Perret


this essay is kind of a confession that I understood that I, seriously, didn't listen music. otherwise, I should have listened these musicians and kept listening. I say it especially for Korhan Futacı.

Van Gogh, Sorrow



ok, I've listened Dandadadan before, when they first released their first album. but somehow i wasn't impressed that much; probably I didn't get it back then. when I listen him now with Kara Orkestra, I am literally enchanted ! he plays saxophone, sings and composes some of their pieces, as well. his music is kind of ritual that takes you out of time and cuts a very deep corner of your heart with a tiniest blade ever. you can not help yourself for not to listen it, but it also consumes you (or maybe it relieves you). and his distinctive sound is addictive also. it is unnecessary trying to explain it, just dive into it !


name of this peace is Bülent. This is the most oriental one of his songs, in my opinion. And it is probably related to famous Turkish transvestite fantasy music singer Bülent Ersoy.


name of this song is Ben Sana Vurgunum/I am Crushed on You. he only sings in this song. I like the gloomy atmosphere of it.

now, it is Guillaume Perret & Electric Epic's turn. he was the reason why I felt a need to listen Korhan Futacı again. and Bastien was the reason why I listened Guillaume Perret, in the beginning (so, thanks for it, I liked his music very much. I hope you also like these ones). 

Guillaume Perret also has a very distinctive sound for himself and creates an atmosphere independent from time and space. one moment you are in Paris, one moment in Africa or just flying over endless seas, forests or even cities !  he only plays instrumental music but you can really feel lyrics flowing in your veins.. (like they are songs without words (e.g. Romanticism, Mendelssohn))




this one is for me :) the name of it is Ethiopic Vertigo. is it so strange that I find some influences from Mulatu Astatke's Yegelle Tezeta? (I don't think so, since he is an Ethiopian jazz musician !:)




this one is for Bastien (if I am not mistaken, haha:) the name of it is Shoebox. I don't know why it is shoebox but it reminds me the "shoebox incident" in Turkey in the end of 2013. 

To sum up, if you like transcendental/progressive/gloomy/saxophone music, don't miss these guys. Like I said, they take you to very deep of purple but then brings you back to the luminescence of night :) 


p.s. you may want to check also İlhan Erşahin, a renowned Turkish jazz musician, saxophone player and composer.

AND if you also like trumpet, you may like to read my other essay on trumpet magicians. it is about a Turkish (Barış Demirel) and a Lebanese-French (Ibrahim Maalouf) trumpeters/jazz musicians/composers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment